At the New Yorker, Alexis Okeowo’s got a list:
1. Africa is experiencing an economic boom.
2. South Sudan gained its independence.
3. Ugandans staged Walk to Work protests
4. Two Liberian women won the Nobel Peace Prize.
5. Cell phones continue to change how Africans live.
6. South African democracy took a turn for the interesting.
7. African innovation was celebrated for a third year at Maker Faire Africa.
8. The U.S. announced a new push for gay rights abroad.
9. (Some) progress in Somalia.
10. Botswana as a global leader in fighting corruption.
The only thing more certain than the exciting potential of the region is that there will be more lists! What would you add?